Monday, November 7, 2011

The Privileged Parenthood

My sons informed me this morning that they want to be parents when they grow up. That's nice to know. I didn't tell them that I don't get paid a cent and it's a life long, 24 hour, 7 day a week job. I don't want to burst their bubble.

In their eyes being a parent is the ultimate lifestyle. We stay up past 8pm, we're in control of the fridge and the remote to watch football on Sunday nights. How much better could it be? It can get better obviously because at our house if someone misbehaves, they get to do dishes, laundry or vacuum. What kid loves to clean? Mine don't, but that's the privilege of being the parent.

My boys catch me doing sneaky things like snarfing Halloween candy before dinner. They can't have any because it would spoil their appetite, but miraculously parents don't have a problem with that. Dang, right?

We parents are also pretty great at healthy snack portions especially when dad hoards the chips. We drive super cool cars that really can go 100 mph and catch some air off a hill (disclaimer: it was a deserted country road and my oldest son wanted to see if the 100 on the speedometer was merely decorative. It was purely experimental...ish). Dad can grow a beard and mom's got a credit card. I mean, how much cooler can being a parent be???!!!

Parenthood is pretty dang cool.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Especially your disclaimer about the "100 mph hill." HA HA! You're the coolest chick and mom I know!

    ReplyDelete