Friday, August 18, 2017

Midnight Nightmares

I come to you in the middle of the night... or technically ridiculously early in the morning (you pick, I don't care) to say that The Exiled Prince (book #3 in the Ian Quicksilver Series) is soon to hit the shelves.  And it's going to be awesome.

I mean it.

I hate everything I write.  At some point or another I swear at my books and wonder why on earth I am even published because that was straight up rubbish.  I think all authors go through it at some point or another or at least they should.  I did meet a writer once who was massively in love with his own writing.  He signed up for a critique at a writing conference and told me, point blank, he did it on a whim and probably wouldn't take my advice because he loved his story and writing style that much.  I don't get that.  At all.

Hating what you write is a good thing. It makes you second guess what you wrote, be more critical and see more plot flaws.  If you totally love everything you write there is no room for growth, improvement, or development.  Was Charolette Bronte a total genius at the get go?  Nope.  Her sisters shredded her work and she was brutally harsh on her own writing.  Granted, the lady could write like a boss, but she had a keen, critical eye.

So, it came as a total shock that after I finished The Exiled Prince, I loved it.  Not from the very beginning, mind you.  I went through five re-writes and had a hate fest slaughtering each one before I settled on the story it is today.  However, now that it is done, I actually like it.  Why?  

Because I was mean.  I created characters I loved to hate, built a story around two amazing teenagers and I totally fell in love with Corbin all over again.  Let me tell you something about Corbin... he may only be a side character, but he has his man hands gripped on my heart.  

Gosh, i was about to lay out some spoilers.  Good thing I stopped myself!  I guess you'll have to read it and see what I wrote!

The Exiled Prince releases September 12th.  Pre-orders can be made on Amazon...HERE!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Alyson! I came across your blog a few days ago looking for more info on Meniere's Disease. I was wondering if you still have it and how is your diet doing so far. I would love to maybe read an update since you haven't posted about this for a while now. Thanks a lot for reading my comment and good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete